Thursday, October 25, 2012

It’s all about the Coat!!


Dr. Ukdo discusses how, “it is natural for medical students to feel long white coat envy”. The article was a short interview of how graduates look forward to be fully recognized not only among their fellow classmates but also among their colleagues. In the article the student mentions, “It’s a huge sign of accomplishment to shed from the short coat and don the long one”.  The long coat has become a status symbol of achievement. 

The short also resembles many things one of the things is that it resembles you’re a medical student anyone can know this by a glance in the hall the attire says it all. However the article explains how they feel according to the article student or medical students feel inferior because they have no decision power. “But, I would be lying to say that the short white coat syndrome doesn’t ever creep up into my psyche. It makes itself known during the first day of a new rotation, during periods of humbleness or humiliation, or when a patient refuses to let me participate in their care. It’s a reminder of where I am and where I am going, but it would be impossible to get there without it. Don’t get me wrong, I am proud to wear it every day, but I won’t be sad when I am able to trade it in for an upgraded model”(DRUKDO. 2011).
It is natural for medical students to feel long white coat envy, by DrUKDO on November 12th, 2011in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment